| I was texted this while waiting in traffic to get them. This shot made the news. Ashton and Cameron sitting on the bus. |
I then got a call from our neighbor who had heard from her daughter at drop off and immediately went back to pick her up. She asked if she could get the boys, but I knew she couldn't. Our boys were locked down and were unable to leave campus. The time was then 8:00. I decided to take a shower. Ethan woke up and came in our bedroom. He had been called by Brisa with the news. Derrik came home from his run and we sat in the bedroom and turned on the news. The shooter was then thought to be on the lose, running around neighborhoods. My school was on lockdown and our doors were locked. Cameron still hadn't found Ashton. He was locked in a dark closet with around 40 other students. He was really worried that Ashton might have been outside or in a bathroom. I received a text from Cameron at 8:15: "Ash and I are safe." A long 30 minutes of worry. Ashton had been in the band directors office and given strict instructions NOT to use their cell phones. He was unable to let any of us know where he was. We're still watching the news, taking it all in and processing that there were victims, shooter may have killed himself or be on the loose. The boys were moved to the choir room, where other students were waiting to be released. At 9:51, all the students were escorted to the church nearby, with armed officers. They were bussed to the park and let us know we could come and get them. Derrik, Ethan an I jumped in the car and sat in a long line of traffic. At the park, Cameron and Ashton were interviewed by officers and had to wait in a long line of students to be reunited with parents. At 10:45, they were released and Ethan and I hugged them. Derrik had trouble finding a place to park and chose to wait in the car about a quarter mile away. The boys were fine, shaken, but happy to be heading home.
![]() |
| Line of students waiting to be reunited with families. |
![]() |
| Our boys |


No comments:
Post a Comment